Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Taking Children to funerals. Yes or No???????????

Today a friend asked me what I thought about bringing children to funerals. I have had a lot if experience in this area so my friends ask me this a lot. I say this.........every human grieves. Whether you are a infant or elderly or in between. Children have a need to grieve, although adults often assume that a child does not grieve because they will most likely not show the outward signs of emotional loss like adults do. I believe that every child has the right to grieve and be given the opportunity to say goodbye on their own terms. This may be making a picture, writing a letter, singing a song, or bringing a gift to the deceased. When you are faced with the question,"Should I bring my child to the funeral?". The answer is....ask them. If they want to go and say goodbye, let them! But, don't force them.

No comments:

Post a Comment